Powered by WebRing.

Saturday 27 November 2010

Betty Jean Lifton.

This is just a quick post to say how very sorry I and a great many others from the adoption community were when the news of Betty's death reached us.

Betty Jean Lifton was an adoptee who advocated for the rights of adopted people throughout her life. She is and always will be a personal hero of mine and her books have helped me greatly, even in just understanding that I am not alone and that my feelings are justified. Her book - “Journey of the Adopted Self” was dedicated to her two mothers, who, she wrote, “might have known and even liked each other in another life and another adoption system.”

This book has comforted so many adoptees over the years and I for one can say that finding it was a great relief. I mention the dedication because I hope and pray that the 'other' adoption system she dreamt of is not too far away and that for me at least, my two mothers will know and like each other as I continue in my reunion.

Betty's books will, I am sure, continue to not only be an inspiration for adoptees, but an educational tool for adoptive parents and a helping hand to everyone suffering adoption loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment